Autumn HappeningsWe've had lots of fun practicing our skills as scientists! I hope you have heard about measuring pumpkins, tasting apples, scooping seeds, and exploring echolocation. Click on the link to see some photos.
Mark your Calendars!
November 6: Walkill Wildlife Refuge Trip
Penny Drive Begins
Sock Drive/United Way Gift of Warmth Campaign, Start Date TBD
November 9 & 10: School Closed
November 17, 20, 21: Early Dismissal Conferences
November 22: Early Dismissal Thanksgiving Break
We will celebrate with seasonal activities in the classroom.
Kindergarten homework is basically an optional opportunity. It's purpose is threefold:
- to develop personal responsibility for communication, execution, and completion of a task
- to practice a new skill or to explore a new idea in an environment other than school
- to connect home and school with common knowledge of content and competence
The homework calendar provides you with activities connected to your child's school experience. It will give you a glimpse of your child's level of functioning. The activities will connect school experiences with real life experiences to enhance transfer of knowledge. The weekly reading homework is "required," but decide how the activities suit the needs of your child aand family. It is meant to be helpful, not a must-do. Be flexible about how you choose to use the calendar. If the homework results in a product your child would like to bring to share, that is great, but it is not required.
Helpful Hints for School
- Involve children in the packing and unpacking of their things as much as possible. Without awareness, they cannot become responsible.
- We are active, inside and outside. We have recess every day, and Physical Education on Fridays. (Children must wear sneakers to participate.) We paint, we crawl, we climb. Please guide your child to choose appropriate apparel for our busy days.
- Plan to send, rather than buy lunch for the first couple weeks. The cafeteria experience is stimulating, and familiar foods are comforting.
- Although not essential at this point, it will be helpful when your child is able to remember and recognize his/her bus route number and student number.
- Contact me to discuss small problems before they escalate into real problems. We may see the same child, but we may not see the same behaviors. Communication is vital.